Arts Editor's March Top 5

By Katie Todd

The cozy interior of Books and Mortar
As the long, dreary winter finally seems to be wrapping up, the world appears to be brightening up, both literally and figuratively. To celebrate the new lightness in the world, I am going to detail a little about my favorites from this month of March.

1-Unnecessary Green Food
I’d like to give a big personal thank you to Saint Patrick for not only driving the snakes out of Ireland but for being the patron of our unique American holiday. Without him we wouldn’t be able to enjoy green cupcakes, green cookies, green bread, and green beverages all on the same day. This year, I was fortunate enough to enjoy a green tinted donut from D’arts Donuts, located in Eastown on Lake Drive. D’arts Donuts is the perfect spot for a treat, whether it’s green or not. With desserts under $5 and with vegan and gluten-free options available, a little visit to D’arts for a donut and coffee is a perfect way to spend the afternoon as winter fades out.

2-My Chemical Romance
Whether you had an emo phase or not, I think that we can all agree that MCR has some real bops. Although the band broke up 4 years ago and their sound is definitely in character with 2000’s punk/emo/rock, My Chemical Romance remains timeless. The onset of new seasons always brings new emotions for me and I’ve found that this band is a perfect soundtrack. I’ve been most recently listening to their 2004 album, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Opening with the banger Helena, the album is a perfect portrait for emo punk. If you yourself are emo, had an emo phase, or aren’t yet in tune with your emo self, this album is a great piece to visit and revisit.

3-Frosty Boy
Open for the season just as of last Saturday, Frosty Boy is by and far my favorite ice cream stand in Grand Rapids. Just 10 minutes from the high school down Plainfield, it is a great after-school snack spot, especially as the weather starts to warm up. With vegan, gluten-free, and pet-friendly options, everyone can enjoy this stop. My personal favorite is the soft serve twist in a chocolate-dipped cone. Even though I enjoyed my first cone of the season in 40-degree weather, it was just as delicious as on a hot July night.

4-Books and Mortar
A local independent bookshop, Books and Mortar, opened in Eastown last fall and I finally had the chance to stop in this month. The warm and inviting environment is perfect for getting lost in a book with comfy chairs and soft music. The walls were lined with books of all types, from those of infamous “higher literary merit,” to recent best sellers. Of course, there were also classic bookstore trinkets, like various games, journals, and book-related merchandise. The staff was happy and eager to find whatever customers were seeking. If it wasn’t on their shelves, they could easily be obliged to order it in. I believe I’ll be making a few more stops here to stock up on spring break reading materials.

5-The Sun
After a really long and dark February, the sun has finally made a reappearance to our sky, and hopefully for good. To get the daily dosage of Vitamin D that we all have been lacking, I’ve been taking advantage of the parted skies and doing a little bit of exploring. Grand Rapids has a really nice parks program and I’ve been revisiting some of my favorites. Fuller Park is right next to a dog park and is a perfect venue for dogspotting. Wilcox Park’s open fields are perfect for sunning, perhaps with a blanket; it would make an excellent study spot. The infamous Lookout Park has a breathtaking view of our city, either at night or during the day. Thanks to daylight savings time, we all have an extra hour of sun and we should definitely be using it to its full potential.
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment